Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Random thoughts

I enjoy watching shows on real estate, House Hunters and House Hunters International being some of those.  I really do love shows like these, I sit and check out real estate on my free time, to keep myself up to date with the market of where I'm living (as I know I won't be in this house forever). 

But lately, there are a few things that bother me when I watch the couples on these shows.  And that is the attitude of some of the women towards their spouses and/or boyfriends, who they are purchasing a house with.

Today I was just floored with the episode I was watching.  I can't remember the entire sentence the female spouse spoke, but it was something along the lines of "When it comes to ........."something".....I always win, I always get my way".  I'm sorry, what?!!  Earth-to-woman, you are in a relationship.  Its about give and take, making concessions, working together.  Not you getting your way. GROW UP.  As the show went on, it got worse.  I missed the beginning, but the husband was clearly looking for an area to do art, or to have a studio.  I was unclear if art was his living, or a very major hobby in his life, but when he was commenting on one of the houses that had a potential area for him to work on his art in, his wife simply rolled her eyes, said "whatever" and walked away, while saying over her shoulder that the garage would work for an art studio, even though he didn't like the idea as it wasn't heated in the winter.

Now I know I don't know the full situation, and that I only get to see what clips the show chooses to show me, but WOW.  I just found that extremely disrespectful.  She is not the first wife I have watched to be self-absorbed in the house-hunt, just the latest that I have found frustrating.

I can't say that Stephan was thrilled when I invested some money in trying to sell my art, and he's not so thrilled that it hasn't worked out ..........yet (I still plan to work on it), but he has been nothing but supportive and encouraging about it, and is hoping it works out for me, despite his reservations. And I love him for it. THAT is what a relationship is about.

This woman's lack of concern over her husband's major interest was very troubling for me.  I hope, for them that this isn't how their married situation is, but simply how the show has portrayed it (which often happens).  I hope that their marriage is truly happy, and not at all one-sided like it appeared on the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment