Friday, January 31, 2014

Dear Calgary

I know that, before I moved here, I was warned that I would hear ads on the radio talking to people about road rage.  And while that is true, there ARE ads on the radio about the road, I have discovered that they are more geared towards EXPLAINING basic (and what I think are common sense) rules of the road ..... because people here have no clue, not because they are angry drivers.  Just clueless drivers.  After all, Canada's Worst Driver did rank Calgary as the 2nd worst city in Canada to drive in. And its for a very valid reason.

But this?? What I just saw this morning?!! This is sad.

A TV commercial explaining to people that the common flu or cold is NOT an emergency, and please do not come into the emergency room at the hospital, but your local walk-in clinic, or call the help line.


................SERIOUSLY?!


That's just sad, Calgary, that's just sad.  And a little bit pathetic.  No wonder our wait times at the hospitals keep increasing, despite best efforts to drop the wait time.  A losing battle.

I'm just a little ......shocked.



2 comments:

  1. I think that commercial is fair (I haven't seen it though). If you are not sick and just have a cough and runny nose, there is no need to clog up the emergency room/walk in clinics. If you are severely dehydrated from the flu or other things, then yes, go to the hospital. But that also speaks to the fact that Calgary does not have near enough family doctors. They really need to fix that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commercial makes perfect sense, I do agree with that. However, I was just shocked, because to me it would seem common sense that you don't go to the emergency room for a cold or mild flu.
    The wait time in hospitals is a huge issue. And like you pointed out, not having enough family doctors contributes to that, for sure! Probably, if they had more family doctors, we'd have less people going into the emergency room. :)

    ReplyDelete