Sunday, September 15, 2013

Weekend recap

I already posted on Friday, when I scored this fabulous dress at Rickis for only $10! 

I ended up sleeping on my neck wrong AGAIN on Friday night, and woke up at 4:30 am on Saturday in pain, not knowing if I should go on my hike in the mountains.  I took some Advil, had a bath, discussed with my friend, and we thought it would be ok.  My backpack was light, and if I needed help carrying my things, everyone would pitch in.  So off I went with my sore neck and shoulder.  It was a bit of a tough climb for me, 3 of the km's were all up hill, no break, and my arm started to go a bit numb from the strap during the last 20 minutes.  Luckily, I had friends to help me with my load :)

Every step of pain was worth it though, because the view of the lake was worth it.  And so was bringing my binoculars, because I spotted 5 mountain goats way up on the hills...these are rare to see, as they rarely come down from the top (most tourists think they've seen them, when they've actually seen Big horn sheep, which are brown).  These were a first for me, and I was very excited to get to sit and watch them for a bit.

The lake at the start of the hike - not the one we ended
up at, but still a gorgeous picture :)

beautiful wooded forests along the trail


A blanket of moss covered the forest floor everywhere!

3 of the Mountain Goats...do you see them?

The lake - our destination! I love the reflection here :)


Beautiful flowers growing on the rocks along the shore


view from the other end of the lake

Sunday I had the 2nd week of my Fall bird watching course, which I think I'm going to start making into a separate post!  This week's course gave me the chance to visit one of my favourite parks and see the flood damage, which was quite extensive!  I'll show you some pics in my birding post :)

How was your weekend?  Hope you all had a great weekend too!

-Jessica

4 comments:

  1. The pictures are gorgeous! Where did you hike to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rawson Lake, near upper Kananaskis Lake in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. It was about 10km there and back.

      Delete
  2. What a fun hike! I'm too terrified of wild animals (bears and cougars) to go on a none-populated hike. Wish I could though, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was populated, lots of people on the trail. It was a well maintained trail :) And they close the trail if bears are around, so no worries!

      Delete